Virginia State University Hunter McDaniel Hall
Integral Group provided engineering design services for the renovation of the existing Hunter McDaniel Hall and construction of a new addition. The project has a mix of laboratory, classroom and faculty offices, includes a central chilled and hot water plant and a new electrical service. Integral Group is also provided assistance during the benchmarking process, master planning for campus infrastructure and utilities, and assistance with detailed programming and budget assessment. The systems were developed to anticipate future growth and to organize utilities and services to minimize future downtime and maximize flexibility.
Sustainable strategies for the building systems include:
- Energy recovery to pre-treat ventilation air
- Variable flow hot and chilled water system with variable speed pumps
- Reduce required air change rates for individual laboratories as appropriate based on risk analysis
- Daylighting analysis and controls
- Extensive energy use metering