Pitzer College | Robert Redford Conservancy
Built in 1931, the Robert Redford Conservancy occupies the renovated historical infirmary building near the Pitzer College campus that was one of the original Pomona College buildings. The Conservancy is a hub for sustainable research and discovery. The complex features laboratories as well as traditional indoor classrooms and open-air “outdoor classrooms.” The historic mission style of the infirmary has been retained, and Integral Group worked with the architect to incorporate passive design strategies into the project.
Integral Group participated in the programming phase of this project, and provided MEP design as well as sustainability services for this renovation. Sustainable features include daylighting, thermal massing and natural ventilation as well as PV arrays, the inclusion of skylight wells which also act as thermal chimneys, punched windows with spectrally selective glazing, and slow-moving large blade ceiling fans.
Goals for the project included using the building renovation as a model of regenerative design. The former infirmary has been renovated respectfully and ecological aspects of the site have been considered. Passive design elements are inherent to the original design, and building re-use reduced construction and demolition waste to the landfill by 95%. The site and the building are woven together to support scientific, artistic, and ecological uses. In this way, the Conservancy acts as a “living eco lab.”