Fort Mason Pier 2 | Cowell Theater and Herbst Pavilion
Fort Mason Pier 2 is a former warehouse originally built in 1912, and was turned over to the Fort Mason Center nonprofit in 1977 to protect the historic structure and supervise its evolution into a center for the arts. The northern end of the pier was transformed into the 437-seat Cowell Theater while the southern portion became the Herbst Pavilion, a public exhibition hall.
Working with Leddy Maytum Stacy Architects, Integral Group provided mechanical, electrical, and plumbing designs for the renovations. The 255 kW photovoltaic system was designed with low-profile mounts, which do not overshadow the historic industrial silhouette of the structures. This solar array offsets 85% of the energy needs for both buildings.
Instead of energy-intensive chiller plants, airside economizing was used throughout the building. In the Cowell Theater, with its high occupancy loads, ventilation is provided through a plenum under the seating using in-floor displacement diffusers. The air is warmed by the crowds and the lighting as it rises, and is exhausted out of vents placed throughout the ceiling. This climate-control system reduces energy use while increasing occupant comfort and system reliability at the entertainment venues.