Pomona College Millikan Laboratory Wins CBE’s 2018 Livable Building Award Honorable Mention
Center for the Built Environment at UC Berkeley’s Livable Building Awards is a program to showcase projects that excel in design, operation, and occupant satisfaction. The finalists for this award must meet minimum criteria set by CBE’s Occupant Indoor Environment Quality Survey, which has been used to study occupant indoor environment comfort in over 1,000 buildings worldwide, in addition to meeting the highest standards in sustainability and overall design.
Integral Group’s Pomona College Millikan Laboratory & Andrew Science Hall has been named the Livable Building Awards 2018 Honorable Mention.
The Millikan Science Building, located in the center of the Pomona College campus in Southern California, was originally constructed in 1958. After completing major renovations, the building is now environmentally responsive and reflects the new teaching and learning styles of the 21st century. Two major concerns for the design team were the triple digit summer temperatures and poor outdoor air quality. The building utilizes displacement ventilation, ceiling fans, radiant ceiling panels, and active chilled beams. Read more about the award submission here.
Integral Group was retained to design the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems which will use 65 percent less energy and 35 percent less water than a typical laboratory design and will follow the Labs21 Best Practices Guides. The key sustainability measures for the MEP systems include:
- Decoupled Ventilation from Heating and Cooling
- Water-Side Economizer Cooling
- Natural Ventilation in Classrooms and Offices
- High Efficiency Process Cooling Water
- Ultra Low Flow Fixtures for Water Conservation
- Onsite Renewable Energy Production (PV)
- Integrated Daylight Harvesting Controls
Congratulations to the entire Pomona College Millikan Laboratory & Andrew Science Hall project team including our friends and colleagues:
- Owner: Pomona College
- Architect: EHDD Architecture
- General Contractor: Matt Construction
- Structural Engineer: Rutherford & Chekene
- Civil Engineer: Stantec
- Landscape Design: EPT Design
- Telecom and Security: TEECOM
- Laboratory: HKS Architects
- Acoustics: Charles M. Salter Associates
- Lighting Design: JS Nolen + Associates
For a full list of the 2018 Livable Building Awards winners and finalists, please visit Center for the Built Environment.
- Los Angeles