Integral Group Launches Indigenous Student Scholarship in Victoria, Canada
Integral Group is excited to announce the launch of its first Indigenous Student Scholarship in the Victoria office, which is located on the unceded and traditional territory of the lək̓ʷəŋən (Lekwungen) people, known today as the Esquimalt and Songhees Nations.
This educational scholarship will be combined with a 4- or 8-month term job placement program, for Indigenous students entering or returning to an accredited university engineering program in BC.
The goals of the program are:
- To encourage Indigenous students, who are under-represented in the architecture/engineering/construction (AEC) industry, to be aware of and consider career opportunities in green building engineering;
- To provide real-life exposure and hands-on experience in a high-performance consulting engineering office environment; and
- To inspire other Integral Group offices, regions, and industry peers to follow suit, strengthening the representation of Indigenous people in the AEC community.
The award is a $5000 scholarship paired with a 4- or 8-month job placement for the student (job placement may be used to count towards university co-operative education programs).
The job placement portion of this award may occur as early as September 2022 or up to 3 years after the student receives the award, depending on the schedule of the student.
The successful applicant will have an opportunity to select which discipline they would like to practice in their placement (e.g., mechanical, electrical, commissioning, energy modeling, or sustainability consulting), and be paired with the relevant team in the Victoria office to provide technical training, career mentorship, and entry-level opportunity to be involved on real building projects.
This award is open to Indigenous students entering or returning to an accredited university engineering program in British Columbia.
How to Apply
Send the following documents to [email protected] with the subject line “Integral Group Indigenous Engineering Student Scholarship – Victoria”
- Indigenous self-identification statement (e.g., First Nations (status or non-status), Métis, Inuit). Please briefly outline your Indigenous ancestry.
- Short 1–2-page letter that tells us about yourself (including your current level of education) and covers one of the two written response questions below:
- What does deep green engineering mean to you?
- What motivates you to pursue engineering?
- Your most recent academic transcript (an unofficial transcript is acceptable)
- Optional: A reference letter, if available (not required)
- Optional: A short description of your financial need
All submitted documentation should be in PDF document format with your name included in the document title.
Please include Integral Group Indigenous Engineering Student Scholarship – Victoria in the email submission subject line.
The deadline to apply is May 20, 2022, now extended to June 20, 2022. The successful applicant will be announced July 8, 2022, now July 22, 2022.
We have reached out to our network and to the community to receive feedback and refine this program. We would also like to welcome additional feedback on our delivery of this program. If you have any comments or feedback to provide, please email [email protected] with the subject Integral Group Indigenous Engineering Student Scholarship – Victoria.
This is a pilot program for Integral Group Canadian offices and, if it is successful, may be rolled out to other offices in the future.